There are several dangers associated with fires.
Home fire extinguishers are an indispensable element during a fire crisis, especially during small fires. They can save lives and property.
There are certain dangers associated with fire extinguishers too, just like there are dangers from fire.
Fire extinguishers can turn out to be defective, or worse, have reported to explode.
This explosion can be powerful and can cause collateral damage.
The degree of destruction if a fire extinguisher explodes depends a lot on the weight of the fire extinguisher.
Fire extinguishers can become hazardous if not handled with care.
Adequate steps should be taken to maintain such devices before being used at times of need. Source:
Can home fire extinguishers also explode?
Yes, even when you choose one of the best home fire extinguishers, there is still a chance it could explode if you do not take the necessary precautions.
While the chances of explosions are rare, they should not be overlooked.
What can cause the fire extinguisher to explode?
- Using a fire extinguisher harshly can have unwanted consequences. The pressure in a fire extinguisher is powerful. Physical damage to the fire extinguisher can create the pressure inside, which the outer container cannot bear. This can lead to an explosion.
- Home fire extinguishers used for domestic fires need a visual examination every month, without fail. This inspection includes keeping a check on visible damage like scratches, dents, or corrosion. Complete inspection after a year will include refilling, recharging, and complete inspection as well. Ensure cyclic tests of the fire extinguisher. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) states that if a fire extinguisher discharges, it needs to be repaired or replaced.
- The inspection includes inspection of the pressure gauge too. It should fall in the correct range. The low pressure indicates the fire extinguisher is depressurized. When over-pressurized, the chances of explosion become high. Additionally over some time, fire extinguishers may continue to lose pressure.
- Never service or open the fire extinguisher by yourself. This can lead to an explosion in some cases.
- Incorrectly disposing of the fire extinguisher can also be fatal. The remarkable thing is that never break or handle the fire extinguisher roughly, even when throwing it away.
- Overcharging a fire extinguisher can ruin the fire extinguisher and cause leakage.
- A corroded fire extinguisher is also deadly as they can explode. They can lead to causing injury or death.
Not inspecting the fire extinguisher regularly, may make it useless and can even pose a threat.
Customary maintenance is essential to ensuring a fire extinguisher is in good condition when you need it.
Be a diligent home and fire extinguisher owner and inspect your fire extinguishers regularly.
This will not only keep you and your fire extinguisher ready for fire-hazards. This will also avert the risk of your fire extinguisher ever exploding.